Wednesday 18 June 2008

aren't we all developing countries?

People refer to places such as India and China as developing countries. This is perhaps some sort of Politically Correct stuff to avoid calling them something else. What I'd like to know is when did development stop in developed countries (like say, my home country Australia)?

I don't see that things like
  • government accountability,
  • environmental management,
  • infrastructure,
  • public systems,
  • macro or micro economic structures
have stopped developing? Same seems to be true here in Finland and in Japan too.

Since we're all developing perhaps something more useful might be used to describe countries like India or various African countries.


I'd doubt though that you'd see stuff like this in a "developed" country, which makes me wonder what it is that developed or developing refers to ...

No comments: