Friday 7 October 2011

steam driven

in an age where we have everything electric I thought I'd put up a quick post to remind us that in the main we're still all steam driven.



after all, in power stations we boil water and make rotational energy:
  1. in order to to drive a generator to generate electricity
  2. in order to transfer that energy from the station to your home
  3. in order to power your fridge or light your house.


sometimes its the simple things which we forget which really count

:-)

5 comments:

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

Ah yes! I had a Mamod stationary steam engine and some belt driven implements to go with it. Looking at that video almost brought a tear to my eye; I can hear the flutter of the exhaust and smell the meths!

obakesan said...

its gorgeous isn't it ... kept it since I was 11

obakesan said...

ps: I'm quite jealous that you had the implements ... I've just spotted a 'reciprocating saw' on eBay which I'm dying to get.

:-)

Charles Maclauchlan said...

:-)

Noons said...

I see your steam engine and I raise you this:
http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2010/03/steam-engines.html
Most amazing piece of machinery I've seen in a looooong time! Watch it full screen!
:-)